Two days ago I updated WordPress to v2.3.1. I also changed my blog URL to my root directory. Following the instructions on WordPress’ website I copied their .htaccess file to my root directory. After that I could not access some of the admin pages on my website. I opened a trouble ticket for Dreamhost. I expected that someone from their support team will fix my problem in at least two to three days. But they proved me wrong. Within less than 10 minutes I received an email from them. While opening the message I was thinking that it was just an auto-responser. But I was wrong again! They not only found the problem but actually fixed it. Incredible. Thanks Dreamhost for your great customer service.